My Ramdam

Media Technology Marketing.
Every week, a recap of the latest news in media,
new technology and marketing.

05
Nov

My Ramdam by My Media # 137

week 44 – 2013

Television

A FIFTH SEASON FOR THE WALKING DEAD

AMC has announced that it was renewing its hit series The Walking Dead for a fifth season following the excellent launch of season 4. The first episode had 16 million viewers in the US, while on average the first 3 episodes had over 14 million viewers. At the same time AMC announced it was developing a spin-off of the horror series for 2015.

FOOTBALL : RECORD PRICES FOR ADS DURING FRANCE-UKRAINE

TF1’s ad rates broke records for the second play-off match between France and Ukraine on November 19th at the Stade de France. A 30 second half-time spot will cost 140 000 € gross for this match which will determine France’s participation in next year’s World Cup in Brazil. It is the most expensive ad break of 2013 for TF1.

Radio

THE STATE LEAVES SKYROCK.COM

France’s Strategic Investment Fund which owned about 15% of Skyrock’s internet activities, sol dits shares to Orange for 5,1 million euros according to L’Express. The mobile operator now owns 49% of Skyrock.com, the remaining 51% still being owned by Skyrock.

Web and mobile

CRITEO BURSTS ONTO THE NASDAQ

Investors placed their trust (and finances) into the French internet advertising start-up for its IPO on Nasdaq. The stock, introduced on September 30th for $31, has already increased to $42 at mid-day on Friday according to Les Echos. Criteo, specialised in advertising retargeting on the internet, has seen its valuation go over 2,2 billion dollars. Criteo is the first French start-up to be introduced on Wall Street since 1994.

FACEBOOK WANTS TO FOLLOW YOUR CURSOR

After analysing our « likes », our clicks and our comments on Facebook to enhance its advertising targeting, the social network is testing a new technology which allows it to follow the movements of your mouse. The technology allows the site to analyse the time spent by the user’s cursor on the different ads, to better study Facebook user’s habits. The social network did however state that it had not yet confirmed whether it would be implementing this technology on a large scale.

Advertising

IKEA’S SUSPENDED BATHROOM
From October 29th to November 3rd, the Ubi Bene agency installed a living ad in front of Paris’ Gare Saint-Lazare. It it a suspended bathroom in lieu of a billboard with an actress « taking to the heights » : Ikea bathroom

SNICKERS
A special Halloween spot coming from Snickers, where a strange person tries to get a woman to buy Snickers for Halloween : Snickers ad

ORAL B TOOTHPASTE
There’s no use in preaching dental hygiene to kids, nothing will stop them from stuffing their faces with candy on Halloween. The only cure ? A good toothpaste : Oral B ad

LUX
Soapmaker LUX was also inspired by Halloween to create a funny spot, where a woman taking her shower using LUX soap, drops the soap which will save her life… or her skin… LUX ad